Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Vibram Only Disc Golf Bag

It took me some time to get use to throwing Vibram golf discs. There are some that I really like, where I think the rubber makes the discs better, but some of their discs I would consider below average.

My Vibram disc golf bag includes all the Vibram discs currently on the market, (minus the OLace I lost at the Providence course) two Laces that fly quite differently and three Summits that all have different stabilities.

There are three different blends of X-Link plastic, soft, medium, and hard. My Vibram bag consists almost primarily just of medium. My Ascent fairway driver is the only firm in the lot, and I don't throw any of the soft stuff, which is REALLY soft. In general, I like grippy plastic for backhand drives, and smooth plastic forehand throws. For midrange shots I like a smoother plastic to minimize grip lock, and I've already been using Vibram for my approach discs. Vibram doesn't really have a "smooth" plastic, so that leaves me somewhat lacking.

Distance Drivers 

When it comes to Distance drivers, Vibram really excels.

Lace - The Lace bombs, and I can get as much distance out of this disc as any other golf disc on the market. I have two Laces a max weight 174g that is pretty overstable for me, and a 164g which is slightly understable but overall very straight. It's the 164g Lace that I throw when I'm looking for BIG distance. For as fast and glidey as the Lace is, it is a really straight flying driver.

UnLace - The unLace is one of the most fun discs to throw out there. It's amazing how far this disc will fly with very little power. I love using this disc for 'gentle throws' that where I still want some distance without fading left at the end of the flight. When I throw the unLace hard, it turns over so hard it's unreal. I can release this disc on a hyzer and it still flips over and turns right. For me this is a utility disc, but I highly recommend the unLace for newer players looking for easy distance.

Solace - My biggest problem with Vibram has been that the x-Link compound is too grippy for me to get clean forehand releases with. Even though my medium Solace is very grippy, this disc is Overstable enough that even when I hold on too long and release at an anhyzer angle, it comes back. One interesting thing about the Solace is that it doesn't skip nearly as much as other discs. I'd prefer my Flicks, or an MVP Motion over the Solace, but this disc is adequate for me for my sidearm throws. I think I'd like it even more in X-Link Firm Plastic.

OLace - The OLace never found much use for me, and it got lost anyways. It's a little too overstable for me to throw backhand, but not stable enough to flick -- that's how I lost it, turned over and didn't come back. My heavier Lace and OLace fly very similarily anyways, so I'm not really missing this one after losing it in the woods.

Fairway Drivers 

The Vibram fairway drivers are adequate, but by throwing only Vibram, I do miss having an understable fairway driver. Perhaps a lighter weight beat in Trak would fit that spot, but that's not something I have.

Trak- Ever since I got a Trak in my first Birdie Bash, I've always liked this fairway driver. It's just a good workhourse driver for mostly straight, slightly left hooking shots around 300 feet.

Ascent - My Ascent is in X-Link Firm and it works well enough for my shorter forehand shots when I release it on a hyzer angle. However, this disc isn't quite as overstable as I would like.

Midrange Discs

My biggest complaints with throwing Vibram only, is with the Midrange discs. The Ibex works alright with stable midrange shots, but I don't love the feel or flight. I wish that the Obex were a little more overstable, and really don't like the feel of that disc. I do miss my Buzzz and Suspect when I'm throwing Vibram mids. With the domeyness of the Vibram mids, I'm not comfortable flicking them.

Putt and Approach Discs

I really like the Vibram Putt and Approach discs, especially as approach discs (I do use them in my regular bag). In my normal bag I have both a Ridge and a Summit, but since I've been using Vibram only, I think I like the VP better than the Ridge. For long approach shots and putts, I like to release on an anhyzer angle. The VP is stable enough that it will come back at the end of the flight.

For actual putting, I think the Sole has a great feel and flight. It's firm enough for me, but soft enough that it releases nicely and does a good job sticking to the chains.

While my average disc golf scores are a little higher with Vibram, with just a few additions and some more practice, I'm pretty sure I could score just as well by throwing only Vibram.





No comments:

Post a Comment