Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Prodigy Only Bag

When I first started throwing Prodigy Only, I thought I figured out why Will Shusterick's PDGA rating had dropped in the last year. For me anyways, there are a lot of missing holes in the Prodigy Lineup for what I like, and am used to.

Nevertheless, my average disc golf scores throwing Prodigy Only, were even better than my MVP only, which is even better than my Mixed bag score at the technical Providence Course.

I'm not going to say that the reason my scores are better is because Prodigy Discs are better, really I think It's because I've just been playing more solidly lately, especially my Putt Game -- which might actually say something about the quality of the Prodigy Putters.

My Prodigy Bag included nearly all of the Prodigy discs with the exception of the D1 and the D4 (which are actually the two originally released Prodigy Drivers, ironic I guess.) Nearly all the discs I have are in 400S plastic with the exception being the X1 (750) the PA-3 (350G)  M5 (300S) the D3 (350RX).

What I like about Prodigy


The number one thing I like about Prodigy is the plastic blends. I think the 400 Serious plastic is great for drivers and midrange discs. It's durable, but grippy enough for a nice release. The 750G plastic feels like a premium blend ought to. It has a few minor scratches and has withstood a beating, but still continues to fly straight.

Where Prodigy Leaves Me Wanting


Most of the drivers I typically throw are in the speed 8-11 range. Prodigy currently has Fairway Drivers that all have a speed of roughly 7, and Distance Drivers with a speed of 13. While I do like the Prodigy fairway drivers, the Distance Drivers are just too much for me. In the 400S plastic, even the D5 is too overstable for me. It rarely turns at all with my backhand throws. Knowing that, I grabbed myself a light weight 148g 350RX D3, which to my surprise is actually a little too understable. Part of it is the weight, but I'm thinking that the RX plastic is substantially more understable. The driver this fast that is this understable for me is the Vibram Lace.

Favorite Prodigy Discs

My two favorite prodigy discs are the F7 and the M4. The F7 is a slightly understable straight flying fairway driver that glides really well. This disc just feels good to me and flys well. The M4 is an awesome midrange that I've liked since the first round I threw it. I'd say it's a little less stable than the Buzzz, but still plenty stable enough. I also like the M1 and M2 (can't really tell much difference between the two) these are great power driving midranges when you don't want your mid to turn over. I also found myself using the X1 for most of my forehand throws. I may have used the D1 a bit more if I had it. The D2, worked well for my distance throws, until I lost it in a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment