Friday, July 27, 2012

3 Tips I've Learned from Throwing Hundreds of Golf Discs

We've been doing forehand throw distant tests now for several months, and we're almost done. We have about seventy different drivers that we're throwing, testing, and attempting to review.

Everyone has a slightly different form, technique, and grip when it goes to throwing golf discs. The fact is we are all built differently, and its easier to get results for some than it is for others. Here are a few observations I've made, and things I've learned from throwing hundreds of golf disc drivers.

1. Good Discs for Backhand Throws Are Not the Same As Good Discs for Backhand Throws
For someone of my skill level, less stable, or discs with high "turn" ratings are usually best for distance back hand throws. My favorite backhand discs include the Innova Roadrunner, and the Millennium Astra. For forehand throws, overstable discs are best. With forehand throws, so much of the power behind them comes with the big wrist snap. This snap causes understable discs to turnover and crash into the ground well before you want it to.

More overstable discs, will stay level for much longer and will then fade at the end of their flight.

2. Hard plastic is better for forehand throws, grippy plastic is better for backhand throws.
At least with the way I throw golf discs, the hard Champion, or Z-Plastics perform best for me for forehand throws. I guess it works best to have a nice quick exit release. For backhand throws, I like a soft grippy plastic. Discrafts ESP, Millennium's Sirius, and Skyquest's, and even Innova DX plastics are my favorites. With my backhand release I really like a disc that I can grip to and hold on, that won't slip out of my hand.

3. Throwing with all your might, does not equal max distance.
My best throws are the ones where I am under control and have nice level releases.

I'm still learning the game, but by experimenting with more than a hundred different golf discs, and trying thousands of different throws I'm getting much better and learning some valuable insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment