Friday, July 20, 2012

The Plastics Test....


After performing a few dozen test throws forehand I came to the quick conclusion that I could not throw discs with grippy plastic forehand. Every time I tried, they flipped to the side and became rollers. Now at times these discs rolled really far, but unless you're playing a course with flat even ground, you don't want your disc to do this. And lets be honest, I live in the Rocky Mountains, there aren't many courses around here on flat level surfaces.

It was really interesting, the discs that came in Star and Champion plastic, I was usually able to throw forehand.

I soon came to the conclusion that with the way I release my sidearm/forehand throw, a sticky grip lead to my discs doom. The statistics clearly showed that my Star Plastic, Champion plastic discs just plain flew further. But the question arose, was it just this certain type of disc that lead to the crash and burn? Or was it actually the plastic?

So I went out and purchased 4 Innova Valkyries, and 4 Innova Beasts, of the same weights in each of the major plastic types that Innova Makes: Star, Champion, Pro, and DX.

Sure enough, for my forehand throws I could throw my Valkyrie just fine with the Champion/Star/and usually the Pro plastic discs, but the grippy DX plastic nearly always rolled out on me.

But what about Backhand throws?

Most disc golfers throw backhand. I couldn't get as much distance on backhand throws as I could on forehand, but I thought I'd perform the tests.

For backhand throws the results were surprisingly different. They were almost exactly the opposite of the forehand throws. The Champion and Star plastic discs faired worst, while the DX and Pro plastic discs performed best. After 16 test throws with each disc, the DX Valkyrie clearly provided the best distance for me. It was as if the DX Valkyrie stayed on my hand just long enough to sail further to the right, and glide a little further before ending its flight with a hard fade left.




No comments:

Post a Comment