Friday, July 18, 2014

If You Can Only Use One Brand of Discs - My Mixed Bag of Discs

Most disc golfers I know have a mixed bag of discs, meaning, they throw discs from more than one manufacturer. Most have their preferences, where the majority of their discs are from that same manufacturer. I'm a little unique among disc golfers having tried nearly every disc on the market. I have a very diverse bag, and throw discs that I find work very well for me. Now, I'm regularly tweaking select discs now and then, but my bag has been pretty set with the keepers for a while now.

My bag includes nine different brands of discs. It is currently used as follows:

Distance Drivers:

Westside King - Opto 171g - I throw the King when I really want to go for it with a full power backhand throw, but want to make sure I fade back at the end of my flight.
Innova Destroyer, Blizzard Champion 147g - The Destroyer is my wide open field backhand distance driver of choice. It's not the most consistent disc for me, but when I throw right this thing goes the distance for me.
Discraft Flick,  Z 167g, My pink Flick super beat up, and not crazy overstable anymore. This is the disc I use for forehand distance. This thing turns a bit on me, but still always fades back. I need discs with super flat tops, like the Flick for my forehand releases. I can get more distance out of other drivers, but don't have nearly the consistency that I do with the Flick.
Discraft Flick, Z 172g - My Orange, newer Flick is substantially more overstable than my old Pink one. This disc is used when I want to make sure my forehand throws don't turn over, and finish hard to the right at the end of the flight.
MVP Inertia, Neutron 171g - The Inertia is my consistent backhand distance driver. When I want distance, but don't want to try and throw as hard as I can, this is the disc I use.
Discraft Avenger SS, ESP, 167g - This disc is super under-stable. It's a utility disc for me that I use when I need to make sure I turn to the right. I also use this disc for very steep up hill throws, or occasionaly if I try a roller.

Fairway Drivers:

Westside Stag, Tournament - The Stag is my go to fairway driver. It's used for straight shots with a slight end of flight fade.
Latitude 64 Saint, Opto Line - My current Saint is my overstable driver. This thing is way different than my last Saint and hooks consistently hard. Despite what the flight ratings say, this disc is substantially more overstable than my Stag.
Latitude 64 River - Goldline - When I want a straight shot that's not going to fade at the end of the flight, or a throw that will curve slightly to the right with my backhand throws, the River is the disc I pull out. This thing glides like crazy. It turns a little, and hardly fades at all at the end of the flight.
Innova Banshee, Champion - The Banshee is a utility driver that rarely comes out of my bag. This disc is reserved for very busy days and rare hook shots where I want to curve hard left on a backhand throw.
Axiom Inspire, Neutron - The Inspire is a beautiful 1776 edition that I had to put in the bag because it looks so cool. This disc is a little more overstable than my River, and works great for get out of trouble forehand shots that I want to turn right. Don't throw this too much, but it makes my bag look pretty.

Midrange Discs:

Prodigy M1 - 400S 175g - The M1 is my main driving midrange when I have an open fairway on the right. My moderate throw with this disc consistently goes about 270feet. This thing heads straight line and then fades pretty hard at the end of the flight.
Dynamic Discs Suspect - Dymax Lucid 174g, The Suspect is my primary forehand approach mid. When I need to make a forehand approach shot, the flat top of the Suspect just does it for me. I also drive with this backhand a lot when I don't want to go quite as far as I would with my Buzzz or M1. I use it for fading approach shots once in a while too.
Discraft Buzzz, Elite Z 175g - The Buzz is used for all my stable midrange needs. I use it mostly backhand but occasionally flick it as well.
ABC Mission - My mission is ultra straight. It's like my slower River, this disc goes straight and really doesn't fade at all. When I want to go straight at the basket, this is the mid I throw.

Putt and Approach Discs:

Vibram Ridge, X-Link Medium - The Ridge is my stable driving putter. When I want to drive with a putter, I trust the stability and durability of the Vibram Ridge.
Vibram Summit, X-Link Medium - The Summit is my primary approach disc. I also choose this disc for long putts, and anhyzer shots. I like the feel of Vibram for my fan grip approaches.
ABC Money, Bronze 175g - This is my putting putter. I use it for all putts within about 30 feet. It just feels right to me with the right degree of grip and stiffness, and a good bulky feel that fits my hand. The Money putter stays straight for me out to about 25 feet, so I aim for the middle of the chains, and let the money do the work.  I have a brown one that is a little bit stiffer that I use during the summer, and a blue one that weighs 172g that I used in the winter.


So this is my current bag.


For the rest of the summer I'm going to throw rounds using only discs by each individual company. I'm starting with MVP and will probably go from there. We will see if I can feel fully complete with each brand of discs, or find that there are certain spots that can only be filled by certain discs of a certain brand.



No comments:

Post a Comment