Saturday, August 25, 2012

Choosing the BEST weight for your golf discs.

When you go to purchase a disc golf discs, one of the options is weight. Now how are you supposed to know the best weight? Some discs come in "light weights" less than 150g, while the heavier discs usually weigh between 175-180g.

So what is the best weight for your discs?



The best weight really depends on the type of disc you're using, and how fast your arm speed is.

To try and determine the optimal weight I am testing the Innova Wraith, Roadrunner, and Leopard in each of the different weights available.

With the way I throw, the best weights with the Innova Leopard are the heavier ones. Any time I try and throw the 150 gram leopards, they turn over and don't get nearly as much distance as the discs that are 168g and up.

For beginning disc golfers, light weight discs are best. The hardest thing for most disc golfers is that disc golf discs fade too much. Lighter weight discs do this less. Once you get so you can throw about 300 feet, the heavier weight discs will fly best. The weight will also depend on how stable a disc is. The Leopard is a fairly stable disc, so for my throwing speed it turns over more easily. However, the Wraith is mostly overstable and at my skill level a lighter weight disc is best.

Once I have completed 100 test throws with each of my different weight discs, I will come up with my exact results that show which weight discs are ideal, at least for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment